COLUMBUS, Ohio – The 45th-ranked Ohio State women’s tennis team (13-4,1-1 Big Ten) defeated No. 36 Long Beach State (12-3) on the road in Long Beach, Calif., 6-1, Tuesday, ending the 49ers six-match win streak.
The Buckeyes improved to 13-0 when taking the doubles point after sweeping the 49ers in all three doubles matches. The top Scarlet and Gray tandem of Kelsey Haviland and Cami Hubbs took down Jaklin Alawi and Rachel Manasse, 8-1. Paloma Escobedo and Christina Keesey pushed their winning streak to five matches after defeating Deborah Armstrong and Anais Dallara, 8-4, at No. 2. The freshman duo of Gabby Steele and Fidan Manashirova earned its 10th win of the spring season with an 8-2 victory over Anna Jeczmionka and Sarah Cantlay on court three.
At the top of the singles lineup, Kirsten Flower, ranked 61st in the country, downed Alawi in straight sets, 6-3, 6-1, to extend her winning streak to five matches. Escobedo needed only two sets to put away Dallara, 7-5, 6-3, at No. 2.
Haviland notched a win at the third spot, defeating Armstrong in a super-tiebreaker and finishing with a match score of 7-6 (3), 2-6, 10-7. Long Beach State’s Manasse earned her team’s only point after downing Keesey, 6-1, 6-2, at the fourth position.
Steele earned her team-leading 19th win after taking her match against Jeczmionka, 7-6 (0), 6-1, at No. 5. Manashirova finished the day with a 6-3, 7-5 victory over Julie Luzar at the sixth spot.
The Buckeyes continue their spring break trip with a match against the 40th-ranked Rice Owls at 11 a.m. Saturday in Houston, Texas. The Scarlet and Gray return home to face conference rival and 54th-ranked Minnesota April 2.
Tennis Match Results
Ohio State vs Long Beach State
Mar 23, 2010 at Long Beach, Calif.
(Rhodes Tennis Center)
#45 Ohio State 6, #36 Long Beach State 1
1. #61 Kirsten Flower (OSU) def. Jaklin Alawi (LBSU) 6-3, 6-1
2. Paloma Escobedo (OSU) def. Anais Dallara (LBSU) 7-5, 6-3
3. Kelsey Haviland (OSU) def. Deborah Armstrong (LBSU) 7-6 (7-3), 2-6, 10-7
4. Rachel Manasse (LBSU) def. Christina Keesey (OSU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Gabby Steele (OSU) def. Anna Jeczmionka (LBSU) 7-6 (7-0), 6-1
6. Fidan Manashirova (OSU) def. Julie Luzar (LBSU) 6-3, 7-5
1. Kelsey Haviland/Cami Hubbs (OSU) def. Jaklin Alawi/Rachel Manasse (LBSU) 8-1
2. Paloma Escobedo/Christina Keesey (OSU) def. Deborah Armstrong/Anais Dallara (LBSU) 8-4
3. Gabby Steele/Fidan Manashirova (OSU) def. Sarah Cantlay/Anna Jeczmionka (LBSU) 8-2
Ohio State 13-4; National ranking #45
Long Beach State 12-3; National ranking #36