COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 4 Ohio State men’s tennis team began its 100th year of competition with a 7-0 shutout against the Butler Bulldogs Wednesday afternoon in Columbus. The Buckeyes have now won 111-consecutive matches at home.
Ohio State (1-0, 0-0) moves to 12-0 all-time against Butler (1-3) and 22-0 when facing teams from the Horizon League. Under the direction of head coach Ty Tucker, the Buckeyes have won 23-consecutive home openers. (Ohio State traditionally plays a doubleheader on opening day).
In singles action, senior Balazs Novak and redshirt-freshman Nelson Vick were the first Buckeyes to finish play as both won in straight-set shutouts, 6-0, 6-0. Playing at No. 5 singles, Novak was victorious over Zach Ervin, while Vick downed David Dolins.
Freshman Blaz Rola, who entered the opener as the No. 7 ranked player nationally, defeated Butler’s Brandon Bayliss 6-1, 6-3.
Rounding out singles competition, junior and 63rd-ranked Chase Buchanan beat Bryce Warren at No. 2. Freshman Ille Van Engelen, a native of the Netherlands, downed Butler’s Chris Herron 6-2, 6-3, and Lenz Theodor was dealt a 6-1, 6-0 loss at the hands of No. 46 Devin McCarthy. Van Engelen and McCarthy played in the No. 3 and No. 4 positions, respectively.
In doubles, redshirt-freshman Peter Kobelt and junior Steven Williams gave the Buckeyes their first point of the afternoon when they solidly won, 8-2, against Ervin and Dolins on court 3.
Novak and McCarthy paired up to defeat the duo of Herron and Warren, 8-1. Freshman duo Rola and Van Engelen teamed up for the first time and came out on the winning end, taking down Butler tandem Bayliss and Theodor, 8-4.
Ohio State continues its home opener doubleheader at 6 p.m. Wednesday when the team takes on Xavier at the Ohio State University Indoor Tennis Center. Admission is free.
No. 4 Ohio State 7, Butler 0
The Ohio State University Varsity Indoor Tennis Center
Jan. 26, 2010, noon
1. Balazs Novak/Devin McCarthy (OSU) def. Chris Herron/Bryce Warren (BUTLER) 8-1
2. Blaz Rola/Ille Van Engelen (OSU) def. Brandon Bayliss/Lenz Theodor (BUTLER) 8-4
3. Peter Kobelt/Steven Williams (OSU) def. Zach Ervin/David Dolins (BUTLER) 8-2
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1. #7 Blaz Rola (OSU) def. Brandon Bayliss (BUTLER) 6-1, 6-3
2. #63 Chase Buchanan (OSU) def. Bryce Warren (BUTLER) 6-2, 6-0
3. Ille Van Engelen (OSU) def. Chris Herron (BUTLER) 6-2, 6-3
4. #46 Devin McCarthy (OSU) def. Lenz Theodor (BUTLER) 6-1, 6-0
5. Balazs Novak (OSU) def. Zach Ervin (BUTLER) 6-0, 6-0
6. #72 Nelson Vick (OSU) def. David Dolins (BUTLER) 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish: 5, 6, 4, 2, 3, 1