ANN ARBOR, Mich. – The Buckeyes struggled to get their offense going on Saturday afternoon at the Wilpon Complex as they were shut out by the Wolverines, 8-0, in five innings. Ohio State falls to 33-13 overall and 13-8 in the Big Ten while Michigan improves to 43-9 with an 18-2 conference record.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Wolverines put up four runs on two hits and an error in the bottom of the second.
- A two-run homer by Haley Hoogenraad in the third added to Michigan’s advantage.
- The Buckeyes threatened in the fourth on a double to the left field wall by Lilli Piper but they could not bring a run in.
- Ohio State attempted to get its offense going in the top of the fifth. Ashley Goodwin drew a walk and Amy Balich entered the game as a pinch runner. Up next, pinch hitter Kallie Boren had a groundout the moved Balich to second. Unfortunately, a strikeout ended the threat.
- Faith Canfield’s two-RBI single sealed the game in five.
- RHP Katya Duvall tied her career high with four strikeouts, including two inning-ending Ks. She allowed four runs on two hits in three innings of relief.
- Morgan Ray (17-7) was charged with the loss after giving up four runs and three hits in 1.2 innings.
Ohio State is back on the Big Ten Network to close out the regular season tomorrow at 6 p.m.