COLUMBUS, Ohio – Ohio State, the fourth-ranked team in the nation, defeated in-state opponent Toledo, 6-0, for its second win of the day at the Ohio State University Indoor Tennis Center. The match Sunday between the Buckeyes (5-0, 0-0) and Rockets (4-2, 0-0) was the 29th time the two schools met. With the win, Ohio State has now been the victor on 27 occasions.
It was the sixth-consecutive match Toledo was dealt a shutout by Ohio State. The Buckeyes improved to 95-24-1 all-time vs. MAC teams.
Buckeye junior Steven Williams and senior Shuhei Uzawa teamed up for the first time this dual season in doubles action and defeated Toledo’s Mircea Dimofte and Bryant Dudzik, 8-2.
The other two doubles contests also ended in 8-2 decisions. Ohio State earned the doubles point after duo Matt Allare and Nelson Vick beat Leo Sarria and Nutthavit Likitkumchorn. Redshirt-sophomore Devin McCarthy and senior Balazs Novak downed Toledo duo Sven Burus and Aleksandar Elezovic by the same score.
In singles action, a pair of seniors earned the first two points for Ohio State. Novak made quick work of Leo Sarria 6-0, 6-1 while Uzawa shutout Terence Weigand in straight-set fashion 6-0, 6-0. Junior Chase Buchanan picked up another point for the Buckeyes by handing Toledo’s Sven Burus a 6-0, 6-2 defeat.
Also in singles competition, Vick extended his singles winning streak to nine matches by defeating Gursher Harika 6-2, 6-0. Rounding out singles play, McCarthy won 6-3, 6-1 over Likitkumchorn.
Up next, the No. 4 Buckeyes will host a pair of SEC Top 20 teams in Mississippi and Georgia next weekend. The Buckeyes will welcome No. 18 Ole Miss at 5 p.m. Feb. 4 before hosting the No. 11 Bulldogs at noon Feb. 6 at the Varsity Tennis Center. Admission is free.
Tennis Match Results
No. 4 Ohio State 6, Toledo 0
Jan 30, 2011 at Columbus, Ohio
1. #7 Blaz Rola (OSU) vs. Aleksandar Elezovic (TOL) 6-3, 3-0, unfinished
2. #63 Chase Buchanan (OSU) def. Sven Burus (TOL) 6-0, 6-2
3. #46 Devin McCarthy (OSU) def. N. Likitkumchorn (TOL) 6-3, 6-1
4. #46 Balazs Novak (OSU) def. Leo Sarria (TOL) 6-0, 6-1
5. #72 Nelson Vick (OSU) def. Gursher Harika (TOL) 6-2, 6-0
6. Shuhei Uzawa (OSU) def. Terence Weigand (TOL) 6-0, 6-0
1. #25 Devin McCarthy/Balazs Novak (OSU) def. Sven Burus/Aleksandar Elezovic (TOL) 8-2
2. Matt Allare/Nelson Vick (OSU) def. N. Likitkumchorn/Leo Sarria (TOL) 8-2
3. Shuhei Uzawa/Steven Williams (OSU) def. Mircea Dimofte/Bryant Dudzik (TOL) 8-2
Ohio State 5-0; National ranking #4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (4,6,2,3,5)
Official: Vince Solomon T-2:15 A-87