Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
2018-19 Schedule| 2018 Roster| Box Score| Season Stats| Photo Gallery
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 22 Ohio State Buckeyes completed their first shutout of the season with a 6-0 decision over the Ball State Cardinals. The Buckeyes improve to 3-3 and the Cardinals fall to 0-5 on the season.
The first half started off slow for the Buckeyes, who were unable to score a goal despite seven shots and three landing on cage. The team kept the Cardinals from recording a single shot in the first half to keep the score even at zero through the first 35 minutes of play.
Ohio State came out of halftime fired up, rallying off six goals. Five different Buckeyes added goals towards the final score.
- Under two minutes into the second half, Nikki Trzaska scored off a cross from Hannah Pany to put the Buckeyes on the board and launch the team into momentum.
- Two minutes later, Esther Clotet dribbled a pass into the circle and put one past Ball State goalie Grace Chavez to increase the Buckeyes lead to two.
- With under 25 minutes to play in the game, Whitney Harris added her second goal of the season off a penalty corner, putting the Buckeyes up 3-0 on the Cardinals.
- The next two goals for Ohio State came within 30 seconds of each other. Casey Cole was quick to follow a saved shot and scored her first of the game. Sina Schwinn kept the Buckeyes rolling with her first goal as a Buckeye to give Ohio State a 5-0 lead.
- Cole proceeded to record her second goal of the game off a backhand shot to the upper right-hand side of the goalie with 13 minutes remaining
- The six goals that Ohio State scored were the most goals scored in a single game since the team recorded six against California on 10/25/2015.
- Sophomore Nikki Trzaska’s goal was her first of the season and of her career as a Buckeye.
- Freshman Sina Schwinn also scored her first goal donning the Scarlet and Gray against the Cardinals.
- The win marks the Buckeyes second consecutive win of the season.
- Senior Casey Cole now leads the team in scoring with four goals. She has now scored two goals in the last two games and her four goals this season are a personal single-season high.
- The Buckeyes totaled 23 shots in the contest with 17 shots on goal and kept Ball State to just one shot the entire game.
- Senior goalkeeper Ellen Westfall faced the Cardinals only shot of the game, collecting Ohio State’s single save of the contest.
- Ohio State took 12 penalty corners in the contest, the most in a single game this season.
The Buckeyes remain at home to play Lehigh on Sunday, Sept. 9 at 1 p.m before they open Big Ten play on Friday, Sept. 14 against Penn State.