Jan. 20, 2018
Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat
The Buckeyes begin a tough week of three games in six days with a trip to No. 14 Maryland on Monday. The game is set for a 7 p.m. tip and will be televised on ESPN2.
NOTING OHIO STATE
- Ohio State begins its toughest week of the regular season with a trip to No. 14 Maryland on Monday.
- The Buckeyes have won three-straight in the series with the Terrapins and also won in their last trip to College Park.
- Ohio State is third in the country and tops in the Big Ten in scoring at 87.7 ppg.
- The Buckeye starting five accounts for 88.8 percent of the team’s scoring and combine to average 77.9 ppg which is tops in the country.
- Kelsey Mitchell has averaged over 28 points per game in five career games vs. Maryland and has topped the 30-point mark in each of the last two meetings.
- Mitchell is one of just 13 players in NCAA history with 3,000 career points. She needs just 60 more points to become the Big Ten’s all-time leading scorer.
- Mitchell is second in the country in scoring at 25.3 ppg and is also second in the country with 73 three-point field goals.
- Mitchell is tied for the most three-pointers by any female in NCAA history with 441.
- Stephanie Mavunga is one of just three players in the country with five games of 16 or more rebounds.
- Mavunga is the only active player in the country with over 1,000 career points, 1,000 career rebounds and 250 career blocks.
- Mitchell, Mavunga and Harper are the highest scoring trio in the country at 56.2 ppg.
- Linnae Harper is grabbing 8.8 rebounds per game which is tops in the country for players at 5-8 or shorter.
- Harper is doing a little bit of everything for the Buckeyes She is one of just five players in the country to average 15 points, eight rebounds, two assists and two steals per game.
Series History vs. Maryland
- The Buckeyes and Terrapins are meeting for the 11th time overall and the fifth time in a Big Ten regular season game.
- The all-time series is tied 5-5.
- The Terrapins had won four-straight in the series before the Buckeyes won both games of the home-and-home series in 2016 and the lone meeting in 2017.
- The first three meetings in the series all came in NCAA Tournament games.
- Maryland won the first Big Ten game between the squads on Dec. 29, 2014 and then downed the Buckeyes in the Big Ten Tournament Championship game to claim its first title.
Fear The Buckeye
- Since joining the Big Ten prior to the 2014-15 season, Maryland has lost just four times in Big Ten opponents.
- Three of those times have come at the hands of the Buckeyes.
- The Terrapins last earlier this season to Michigan State four their other loss to a B1G opponent.
McGuff vs. Maryland
- Head coach Kevin McGuff is 3-5 all-time in matchups with Brenda Frese and Maryland.
- He dropped both ends of a home-and-home series with the Terrapins in 2004 and 2005 while at Xavier.
- The Buckeyes then fell at Maryland in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge in McGuff’s first season at Ohio State.
- In his second season, he dropped both meetings, including a 77-74 loss in the Big Ten Championship game.
- McGuff has since led the Buckeyes to three-straight victories over Maryland.
Last Trip to college Park
- Ohio State bested No. 5 Maryland 80-71 in College Park, Md. on Jan. 2, 2016
- After a slow start in the first half, the Buckeyes came out of the gate fast in the second half and took its first lead of the game at 44-42.
- Maryland briefly regained a two-point lead but a Kelsey Mitchell three-pointer put the Buckeyes in front for good late in the third quarter.
- Ohio State would extend the lead throughout the fourth quarter and led by as many as 11 down the stretch.
- Mitchell scored a game-high 28 points to go along with four assists, four rebounds and four steals.
- Alexa Hart was 10-of-12 from the floor and finished with a then season-high 20 points.
- Shayla Cooper notched a double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds before fouling-out early in the fourth quarter.
- This was the first win for Ohio State over a top-5 ranked team since Dec. 20, 2006.
- The loss was the first ever for Maryland in B1G play and the first to a current Big Ten team since 2007.
- The Buckeyes won the battle in the paint, besting the taller Terrapins 34-14 inside.
Last Year vs. Maryland
- Ohio State came out like they were shot out of a cannon on its way to a 98-87 upset of No. 2 Maryland on Feb. 20, 2017 in Columbus.
- The Buckeyes set season-highs for field goal percentage (63.2%) and 3-point percentage (55.6%) in the contest.
- Kelsey Mitchell spearheaded the Ohio State attack scoring 31 points on 11-of-18 from the field, including 3-9 from deep and 6-8 from the line.
- Shayla Cooper had a huge performance on senior night tying a season-high with 20 points on 6-10 shooting and a perfect 3-3 from downtown while adding nine boards and five assists.
- Alexa Hart had her best performance of the year scoring a season-high 15 points and grabbing four rebounds in 26 minutes off of the bench.
- Linnae Harper and Sierra Calhoun also contributed 11 points apiece for the Buckeyes.
- Shatori Walker-Kimborough led the Terrapins with 29 points while Brionna Jones adding 21 to the Terrapins effort.
- The Buckeyes came out firing on all cylinders in the first quarter hitting their last 12 shots in the quarter. Their streak ended in the second quarter after hitting a program record 15 straight shots from the field.
- OSU led 35-22 at the end of one and fought off a tough string of turnovers in the second to lead 49-40 at the half.
- Maryland went on a 14-0 run at the end of the third to close the gap to as little as two but Ohio State was able to pull away down the stretch by shooting 69.2 percent from the field in the fourth quarter.