COLUMBUS, Ohio – Ohio State returned to the win column on Friday night at Buckeye Field thanks to a 10-2 five-inning triumph over Big Ten foe Michigan State. The Buckeyes improve to 27-11 overall and 8-6 in the conference while the Spartans drop to 16-22 (4-9 B1G).
MOMENTS THAT MATTERED
- The Spartans opened up with a leadoff double and a groundout to move the runner to third. They plated the first run of the game on a sacrifice fly.
- Ohio State responded in the home half with two runs on two hits and an error. Bailee Sturgeon got the offense going with a leadoff single to second base. Next up, Ashley Goodwin faced eight pitches to draw a walk before a fly-out put runners on the corners. Staring down two outs, Emily Clark singled to the grass and the right fielder had a miscue trying to field the ball, which allowed her to make it to third while a pair came in.
- The bottom of the second began with Bri Betschel being hit by a pitch. Becca Gavin singled to center field and Niki Carver walked to load the bases. Sturgeon’s grounder provided enough time for Betschel to slide across home plate.
- Michigan State used a RBI single to cut the deficit to one, 3-2, in the top of the third.
- The Buckeyes broke the contest open in the bottom of the third with four runs on three hits. After reaching on a fielder’s choice, Taylor White stole second to get into scoring position. Betschel had a RBI single and Gavin came behind her with a RBI double to center. Carver showed she had some power behind her swing as she sent a two-run homer sailing over right center.
- It was two more runs in the fourth for Ohio State when Shelby McCombs sent a scorcher over the wall on a two-shot home run.
- Carver was responsible for the final tally to secure the run-rule victory. Gavin had a leadoff walk in the fifth before Carver drilled a double to right field to plate the game-winning run.
- RHP Morgan Ray picked up her 15th win and 11th complete game of the season. She allowed two runs (one earned) on four hits with three strikeouts in five innings.
- Niki Carver went 2-for-2 with a home run and two RBI.
- Becca Gavin was perfect on the evening – 2-for-2, two runs, one RBI.
- Shelby McCombs knocked her 11th home run of the season, a two-run shot.
- Seven different Buckeyes recorded a hit – Bailee Sturgeon, Carley Gaskill, Shelby McCombs, Emily Clark, Bri Betschel, Becca Gavin and Niki Carver.
- Lilli Piper has successfully gotten on base in 13 straight games.
- As a team, Ohio State hit .450 (9-20) while limiting Michigan State to a .235 (4-17) clip.
- The leadoff batter reached base in every inning.
- The Buckeyes drove in four runs with two outs.
Ohio State and Michigan State return to Buckeye Field for a 2 p.m. ET matchup.