COLUMBUS, Ohio – No. 3 Ohio State continued its dominance at home in the NCAA Tournament, knocking off No. 26 Kentucky 4-0 on Saturday afternoon to advance to the round of 16.
As has been the case the last 18 matches, the Buckeyes took the doubles point with wins on courts one and three. Martin Joyceand JJ Wolf downed the No. 13 ranked team of Gus Benson and Cesar Bourgois 6-2 and then Hunter Tubert and Matt Mendezfollowed shortly after with their 25th win of the season, a 6-3 win over Kento Yamada and Ryotaro Matsumura.
In singles, Joyce pushed the lead to 2-0 with a quick 6-2, 6-0 win on court six. After dropping the opening set, Kyle Seelig rebounded to win the next two sets 6-1, 6-0 over Austin Hussey. The clinching point came from Wolf as he beat No. 50 Will Bushamuka 6-4, 6-4.
The Buckeyes advance to the round of 16 and will play Minnesota on Friday, May 18 at Noon ET. The final round rounds will be played in Winston-Salem, N.C. at the Wake Forest Tennis Complex.
#3 Ohio State 4, #26 Kentucky 0
1. #6 Mikael Torpegaard (OSU) vs. #8 Ryotaro Matsumura (UK) 6-4, 4-4, unfinished
2. #41 JJ Wolf (OSU) def. #50 Will Bushamuka (UK) 6-4, 6-4
3. #92 John McNally (OSU) vs. Trey Yates (UK) 7-5, 2-5, unfinished
4. Tim Seibert (OSU) vs. Kento Yamada (UK) 6-0, 4-6, 2-1, unfinished
5. #96 Kyle Seelig (OSU) def. Austin Hussey (UK) 3-6, 6-1, 6-0
6. #112 Martin Joyce (OSU) def. Gus Benson (UK) 6-2, 6-0
1. JJ Wolf/Martin Joyce (OSU) def. #13 Gus Benson/Cesar Bourgois (UK) 6-2
2. #61 Mikael Torpegaard/John McNally (OSU) vs. Will Bushamuka/Austin Hussey (UK) 5-4, unfinished
3. Matt Mendez/Hunter Tubert (OSU) def. Kento Yamada/Ryotaro Matsumura (UK) 6-3
Kentucky 15-12; National ranking #26
Ohio State 31-2; National ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (6,5,2)
Official: Mark Anderson T-2:15 A-261