IOWA CITY, Iowa – Ty Tucker believes the doubles point is the most important point in the game and it proved to be the catalyst for the Buckeyes 4-1 victory over No. 37 Minnesota on Saturday in the semifinals of the Big Ten Tournament.
Ohio State advances to the tournament finals and will face either Illinois or Michigan at 1 p.m. ET on Sunday. The match will be streamed live on BTN2Go and will be aired on the Big Ten Network on Monday night at 8 p.m.
The Buckeyes easily took the doubles point with a 6-2 from Martin Joyce and JJ Wolf on court one and a clean 6-0 sweep from Mikael Torpegaard and John McNally on court two.
The singles matches were a little tighter. Hunter Tubert stepped into the sixth spot and delivered a big 6-3, 6-4 win over Marino Alpeza to give the Buckeyes a 2-0 lead. That was big because the Buckeyes’ top player, Torpegaard, fell for just sixth time this spring, dropping a 6-3, 6-4 decision to Felix Corwin.
Wolf took his opening set from Matic Spec in a tiebreaker and then after jumping out to a big lead, he fought his way to a 7-5 win in the second to push the lead to 3-1.
Kyle Seelig jumped out to a 5-0 lead over Josip Krstanovic in the first set on court four but had to hold on for a 6-4 win. Krstanovic then won the second set 6-2 to force a deciding third set. Seelig went up an early break and would hold that throughout to provide the match clinching point 6-4.
Ty Tucker Postmatch Comments
“Obviously anytime you plan Minnesota it’s going to be tough. We played them earlier this year and they gave us our toughest run in the regular season and they played us tough again today. It was a point here and a point there that decided it. This was a good win.”
#3 Ohio State 4, #37 Minnesota 1
1. #79 Felix Corwin (MINN) def. #5 Mikael Torpegaard (OSU) 6-3, 6-4
2. #40 JJ Wolf (OSU) def. #90 Matic Spec (MINN) 7-6 (7-5), 7-5
3. #101 John McNally (OSU) vs. #81 Stefan Milicevic (MINN) 6-7 (3-7), 4-3, unfinished
4. #95 Kyle Seelig (OSU) def. Josip Krstanovic (MINN) 6-4, 2-6, 6-3
5. #95 Martin Joyce (OSU) vs. Jackson Allen (MINN) 7-5, 4-6, 1-1, unfinished
6. Hunter Tubert (OSU) def. Marino Alpeza (MINN) 6-3, 6-4
1. Martin Joyce/JJ Wolf (OSU) def. Josip Krstanovic/Felix Corwin (MINN) 6-2
2. #54 Mikael Torpegaard/John McNally (OSU) def. Justyn Levin/Matic Spec (MINN) 6-0
3. Marino Alpeza/Stefan Milicevic (MINN) def. Matt Mendez/Hunter Tubert (OSU) 4-3
Minnesota 15-8; National ranking #37
Ohio State 28-2; National ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (6,1,2,4)
Big Ten Tournament Semifinals