Jan. 19, 2016
Nick Schilkey, a native of Marysville, Michigan, is a junior for the Ohio State men’s hockey team. He was voted a captain entering this season. Through his first 90 games as a Buckeye, he has scored 33 goals and picked up 35 assists for 68 points. He is among the Big Ten’s leading scorers this season and has hit the 20-point mark for the third time in his Buckeye career. Schilkey was a 2014 Big Ten All-Rookie Team honoree and the Buckeyes’ rookie of the year that season. A finance major, he is a two-time Ohio State Scholar-Athlete and an Academic All-Big Ten selection.
- What is the best time of year on campus? Spring.
- What is your preferred mode of transportation to class? Drive since I live off campus.
- Have you switched your major? If so, how many times and why and if not, how did you know your major was “the one”? Yes, but only once. I knew biology wasn’t for me after the first Chemistry class.
- What has been your favorite or most interesting class at OSU? All of the business classes I have been in so far have been great. The most “interesting” class had to be philosophy freshman year.
- If you had to give an incoming student advice, what would it be? To utilize all of the great resources and facilities that this University has to offer.
- What social media do you prefer the most? Twitter, although I’m more of just a `scroller’ when it comes to any social media. I don’t put much out there myself.
- Which do you watch more: Netflix or TV? TV.
- Would you rather read the book or watch the movie? Watch the movie.
- What song can you not help but sing-a-long to? There aren’t many tunes I don’t sing-a-long to.
- What was the last movie that you saw in theaters? Black Mass.
- When is your favorite time of your sport’s season? Playoff time.
- Which team do you most look forward to competing against? TTUN.
- Do you have any pre-game/match superstitions or rituals? Pre-game nap, but nothing too particular.
- What is your favorite part about your sport? Scoring goals.
- What is your favorite athletic memory? The opportunities I’ve had to travel, such as getting to go to Europe a few times through playing hockey.
- Where is your favorite place to eat at in Columbus? Tommy’s Diner.
- What is the best meal you have ever eaten, and where did you get it from/who made it? Any fresh fish/seafood meal I can get when I’m near the ocean.
- Do you have a sweet tooth and if you do, what is your favorite treat? Snickers Ice Cream Bar.
- When you are not at practice, what could someone find you doing? Trying to find lakes or streams to fish at.
- Do you have a hidden talent? Sometimes I like to think I can sing.
- If you could play another sport other than yours, what would it be? Professional wake-boarder so I could just live on the lake.
- If you won the lottery, what would you do? I would buy a private island and then a plane to get me there.
- What do you most look forward to doing during the summer? Being on the lake with friends and family.
- If you were a superhero, what would your superpower be? Fly, just because I love to travel.
- Do you have an interesting nickname? Silk.
- If you could switch places with anyone on your team for a day, who would you choose? Josh Healey. I’d be curious to see the world through his eyes for a day.
- What is the best piece of advice you have ever received? To live in the moment, and to remember to count your blessings.
- If you could witness any event of the past, present, or future, what would it be? A top-secret meeting with our government’s highest authority after a major catastrophe.
- Would you be the first O, H, I or last O in a picture? Last O.
- What is your favorite part about being a Buckeye? Being a part of the passionate Buckeye community, and having the chance to represent the greatest school in the country while playing the game I love.