Dec. 7, 2015
OSU Notes | Air Force Notes | 2015-16 Schedule
Preview: Coach Matta | Preview: Jae’Sean Tate
Ohio State Men’s Basketball | OhioStateHoops | @OhioStateHoops
@JeffBoals | @Greg_Paulus | @CoachJDiebler
@DRich111 | @OSUADAthComm | @brettrybak
The Ohio State Buckeyes (3-4) vs. Air Force Falcons (6-2)
|Date:||Dec. 8, 2015|
|Site:||Value City Arena (18,809)|
|Game Time:||8:06 p.m.|
|Talent:|| Kevin Kugler (Play-By-Play)
Joe Crispin (Expert Analysis)
|Radio:||OSU-IMG Sports Network (56 stations)|
|Satellite Radio:||Sirius 145/XM 195|
|Local Radio:||WBNS-FM 97.1, AM-1460|
|Radio Talent:|| Paul Keels (play-by-play)
Ron Stokes (Expert Anelysis)
• Ohio State has shot better from the field than its opponent in all seven games this season and are 3-4 to date. Ohio State outshot 23 opponents a year ago and were 23-0 in those games. In the Matta era, the Buckeyes have outshot foes 293 times and are 265-28 in those games (.904).
• Opponents are shooting 78.9 percent (101-128) from the foul line against the Buckeyes, the third best nationally. Miami (Ohio) foes are shooting 81.3 percent to lead the country. Bakersfield opponents make 80 percent of their foul shots to rate No. 2. Only three power five conference teams are among the Top 20 in free throw percentage defense–Ohio State at No. 3, Oregon at No. 5 (.786) and Kansas at No. 23 (.754).
• Thad Matta has coached 400 games at Ohio State, the third most in school history. Harold G. Olsen (1923-46) and Fred Taylor (1959-76), have reached 400 or more games at Ohio State. Olsen coached 456 (259-197) and Taylor 455 (297-158).
• Air Force is one of three Ohio State opponents in 2015-16 to meet the Buckeyes on the hardwood for the first time. Grambling and South Carolina State complete the trio.
• Streaks: Marc Loving has made at least one 3-pointer in all seven games this season and in the last eight games dating to last season … Loving, along with Keita Bates-Diop have scored 10 or more points in all 10 games this season … A.J. Harris has one rebound in every game this season, each on the defensive end … JaQuan Lyle leads Ohio State with 42 assists with at least four helpers in the last six games … Bates-Diop has been to the foul line at least twice in all seven games … he leads the team making 92 percent on the year at the stripe (22-24) … as a team Ohio State has rejected at least five opposing shots in each of the last six games.
Matta Reaches Career, Ohio State History
Thad Matta has made a habit of achieving records and milestones over his coaching career, which spans 16 years. After a season at Butler, three at Xavier and the last 12 in Columbus, Matta coached his 500th career game as a head coach Dec. 13 vs. Morehead State. As an Ohio State head coach, the 13th in the history of the program, Matta set the all-time wins record, surpassing Fred Taylor’s 297 career victories over 18 seasons from 1959-1976, with a 79-73 win vs. Minnesota March 12, 2015 in Chicago. The Minnesota victory also gave him his 400th career win (404-128). Matta teams have never failed to win at least 20 games. His Ohio State teams have averaged 27.2 victories over his 11 full years in Columbus. He coached in his 400th career game (302-98) at Ohio State when the Buckeyes defeated VMI Dec. 5 (89-62).
Matta’s Career Game Milestone
100th Game 11/25/03 L at Ball State, 63-75, 3rd year at Xavier
200th Game 11/28/05 W vs. Virginia Tech, 69-58, 2nd year at OSU
300th Game 2/28/09 L at Purdue, 50-75, 5th year at OSU
400th Game 1/21/12 W at Nebraska, 79-45, 8th year at OSU
500th Game 12/13/14 W vs. Morehead St., 87-71, 11th year at OSU
Ohio State All-Time Record Setting Wins
Win 297 3/4/15 at Penn State (77-67), tied Fred Taylor for OSU
career wins record, 11th year at OSU
Win 298 3/12/15 vs. Minnesota (79-73), sets Ohio State record for
career wins, 11th year at OSU
Career Record Per 100 Games
100 Game Rcd 79-21 (.790)
200 Game Rcd. 151-49 (.755) 2nd 100 gms. 72-28 (.720)
300 Game Rcd. 225-75 (.750) 3rd 100 gms. 74-26 (.740)
400 Game Rcd. 309-91 (.773) 4th 100 gms. 84-16 (.840)
500 Game Rcd. 385-115 (.770) 5th 100 gms. 76-24 (.760)
Career Record 404-129 (.758) 6th 100 gms. 19-14 (.576)
Career Win Milestones
100th Win, 80-70 vs. Louisville (3/18/04),
TD Waterhouse Centre, Orlando, Fla., 3rd year at Xavier
200th Win, 65-47 at Northwestern (2/13/2008), Welsh Ryan Arena
Evanston, Ill., 4th year at Ohio State
300th Win, 64(2)-35 vs. Texas-Pan American (12/3/2012),
Value City Arena, Columbus, Ohio, 8th year at Ohio State
400th Win, 79-73 vs. Minnesota (3/12/15), United Center, Chicago
11th year at Ohio State
Ohio State Career Win Milestones
100th Win at OSU, 63-54(17) vs. Michigan State (3/9/08),
Value City Arena, Columbus, Ohio
200th Win at OSU, 74(2)-66 at South Carolina (12/17/11), Colonial
Life Arena, Columbia, S.C.
300th Win at OSU, 76-54 vs. Mount St. Mary’s (11/15/15),
Value City Arena, Columbus, Ohio
Ohio State Career Game Milestones
100th Game at OSU, W 85(1)-84(25) vs. Tennessee (3/22/07),
Alamodome, San Antonio, Texas, 3rd year at Ohio State
200th Game at OSU, L 57(9)-60(4) vs. Purdue (2/17/10),
Value City Arena, Columbus, Ohio, 6th Year at Ohio State
300th Game at OSU, L 74(11)-55(8) at Illinois (1/5/13)
State Farm Center, Champaign, Illinois, 9th year at Ohio State
400th Game at OSU, W 89-62 vs. VMI (12/5/15)
Value City Arena, , Columbus, Ohio, 12th year at Ohio State
Ohio State Career Coaching Records (10 or more years)
Thad Matta 2005- 12 302-98 (.755)
Fred Taylor 1959-76 18 297-158 (.653)
Harold G. Olsen 1923-46 24 259-197 (.568)
Eldon Miller 1977-86 10 174-120 (.592)
Scouting Air force
The Air Force Academy is 6-2 with wins vs. Tennessee Tech, MVSU, Robert Morris, New Mexico State and the Citadel, all at home, and a road win vs. Denver the last time out. Losses have been to Southern Illinois and Colorado on the road. Junior forward Hayden Graham and Sophomore guard Trevor Lyons average 15 points a game to lead the Falcons. Graham is the team’s top rebounder with nine boards a game.
Ohio State vs. The Mountain West
This will be the first meeting between Ohio State and Air Force on the hardwood. The Buckeyes are 9-7 against the current alignment of Mountain West schools. Ohio State last faced a Mountain West opponent Nov. 25, 2013 at home vs. Wyoming. The No. 7 Buckeyes won that game 65-50.
For more on the Buckeyes click on the Ohio State Notes link above.